This consultation is now closed. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback and/or a submission.
To create this new open space for the local community, we are discontinuing the road at Otter Street to create a new park for everyone to enjoy.
Construction of a new park on Otter Street
Council approved the road discontinuation for the area between Smith Street and Bedford Street in November 2022.
The project has now been tendered and the award of the contract was approved at Council meeting on the 18th April. Read the Council meeting Minutes.
The construction of the new park and toilet is expected to commence in July 2023.
It will take around four to six months to complete, subject to weather and any other unexpected delays.
The concept design
About the project
Project update - September 2022
We are proposing to discontinue the road at Otter Street and retain this land for public open space purposes.
You can make a submission to this proposal by clicking on the 'Make a Submission' tab on this page.
A rare opportunity to create a new park in Collingwood
We’ve got an opportunity to create a brand new park on Otter Street, Collingwood for everyone to enjoy.
Did you know Collingwood has the least amount of open space out of all Yarra's suburbs, with just three square metres of open space for every square kilometre of land? We're changing this!
The Victorian Government's Local Parks Program has provided us with funding to create two new parks:
- this project on Otter Street, near the corner of Smith Street
- an expansion of Cambridge Street Reserve.
Our plans for Otter Street
In 2020 we asked for your ideas for Otter Street. Your feedback has informed a concept design that includes:
- more space to gather and relax
- places to enjoy the sun on cooler days, and shade on warmer days
- trees and grassy areas
- a bold, geometric artwork by acclaimed Australian artist and Kamilaroi man Reko Rennie.
We then shared a draft design for further feedback in 2021. You told us:
- There was overwhelming support for the proposed road closure to make more room for open space.
- You like the proposed lawn area and wanted to see it expanded.
- You had some concerns about litter and ongoing maintenance.
- You wanted less hard paving.
- You wanted more planting.
The main changes from the draft concept plan to the final concept plan are:
- Expansion of the park across the Right of Way on the northern side of Otter Street to create more lawn and reduce the amount of paving.
- A reduction of the number of terraces from four to three to provide larger, more useable lawn areas and eliminate one of the north/south paths, further reducing the amount of paving.
- Tree planting to be medium evergreen species
In addition to the new park, traffic improvement works will be undertaken at the intersection Otter and Bedford streets to create a more pedestrian friendly environment. Adjustments to the intersection of Otter and Wellington streets will also be made to improve access into and out of Otter Street for buses.
Submissions on the road discontinuance
You were able to make a submission on the road discontinuance as part of the formal submission process.
Yarra Council heard these submissions before the decision was made to proceed with the project. Everyone who provided an email address with their submission was notified of the outcome.
Thanks to everyone who contributed your feedback on the proposed road discontinuance at Otter Street.
At the Council meeting in November 2022, Council approved the road discontinuation for the area between Smith Street and Bedford Street to expand the park and create more open space.
You were able to make a written submission on the proposed road closure before November 2022.