Yarra City Council has expanded the 30km speed limit area in Fitzroy and Collingwood with a new trial.

From May 2024 the existing 30km area has expanded to cover all remaining streets within Fitzroy and Collingwood, excluding major roads - Johnston Street, Nicholson Street, Hoddle Street, Alexandra Parade and Victoria Parade. These major roads are excluded as they are managed by the State Government, not Council.

The trial will run for up to 2 years. Council may reduce the length of the trial following the mid-trial reviews in 2025.

This trial is supported by the Department of Transport and Planning and the Transport Accident Commission.

Fitzroy and Collingwood are some of the busiest areas for vulnerable road users like people who walk or cycle. We want to make our streets are safer and more liveable for everyone, whether you are walking, driving or cycling. We also know that reducing the speed limit can significantly improve road safety.

Our initial 30km trial in the northern parts of Fitzroy and Collingwood resulted in great outcomes with a decrease in travel speeds, a reduction in crashes and resulting serious injuries and an increase in positive community feedback. We hope this trial will be able to build on that success.

Do you have a question about the 30km speed limit that we are trialling in Fitzroy and Collingwood?

Want to know more about the 30km speed limit trial and why it was introduced? Ask your questions here and an officer will reply as soon as possible. We have prepared a series of frequently asked questions available using this link.

This tool uses a moderation system so you may not see your question right away. All responses received will be recorded and kept in line with our Privacy Policy.

Please note: Some questions may not be published if there is specific wording used that may be deemed offensive to some people or the question contains personal or sensitive information. Questions that do not directly relate to 30km speed limit that we are trialling in Fitzroy and Collingwood will not be published. Questions and comments that fall outside of how this change will impact you should be directed to Council's traditional customer services channels.

Provide a short summary of your question.

You have 150 characters left

Provide detailed information relating to your question.

You have 500 characters left

Select a respondent from the list that you would most like to answer your question.

Moderation Policy

These are the people that are listening and responding to your questions.

Yarra City Council

{{ question.username }} asked


{{ answer.respondent.name }}
| Edited

Answer this question

Select the respondent who will be marked as answering the question

Provide the answer to the question. Answer can be saved as draft and published when complete.

No questions found