A park for locals
We've designed a new small local park for Reid Street in Fitzroy North, and would love to hear what you think about it!
In 2019 we asked what you'd like to see in a new park on Reid Street, after a developer transferred ownership of a vacant block on the street to council. We heard from around 111 people during this first stage.
You told us you'd like a park where you can:
- relax in the shade of a tree
- sit and read a book, or watch birds
- grow herbs and veggies
- gather with friends to have a picnic.
What we've proposed
With your great feedback, we've developed a concept design for the park. The main features are:
- a grassed area under a large deciduous tree, to provide a cool place in summer and allow sun in the winter
- raised planter beds for growing herbs and vegies
- a native garden bed and trees at the south end of the park, to provide native habitat and give a sense of privacy to the space
- seating opportunities amongst the gardens and trees, for sitting alone or with friends.
The concept design considers your feedback, size and location of the space, and facilities offered by nearby parks. For example, Edinburgh Gardens (about a five-minute walk away) provides playgrounds, barbecues and off-lead dog areas.
This final round of consultation closed on Friday 2 April 2021.