We’re creating a safer Abbotsford for all road users by trialling a new centre median on Nicholson Street (between Mollison Street and Langridge Street).
What we’re doing
Recently, Yarra City Council voted to trial a new centre median on Nicholson Street (between Mollison Street and Langridge Street) in Abbotsford.
The improvements are a trial of an already approved local area place making (LAPM) project designed to improve safety for pedestrians, bike riders and motorists in this area. The new centre median addresses the current high number of conflicting traffic movements between road users.
All changes have been made with temporary infrastructure, and there is no loss of on-street car parking.
When were the works completed?
The temporary infrastructure was installed on Monday 24 August 2020.
Why Nicholson Street?
This project will:
- improve safety for all road users
- allow us to realise and test the benefits of the LAPM project now, rather than waiting for funding for permanent works
- provide safer riding conditions for vulnerable road users and less confident bike riders
- create safer routes to local schools and community facilities
- help deliver on our new Climate Emergency Plan and address the climate crisis while responding to and recovering from COVID-19.
Share your thoughts
We’re here to hear your ongoing thoughts and feedback on this trial.