The issues to address at this location are:
- Conflicts between vehicles and cyclists.
- There are a significant number of vehicles 'cutting the corner' around the turn in both directions.
What is the proposed treatment?
The proposed treatment includes:
- Removal of bike lanes to provide more road space, and encourage cyclists to claim the lane and share road space with cars.
- Install road humps to reduce vehicle speeds at the bend.
- Install median separators to encourage vehicles to stay in the correct lane around the bend.
- A painted buffer to clearly separate traffic movements.
Find out more about what is proposed by clicking the spots below. You can view the image in full screen using the button in the top right corner.
Benefits of this proposed treatment
It will improve vehicle safety and reduce corner cutting.
It could also be beneficial to cyclists, although this is dependent on whether they 'claim the lane' and ride central to the lane as a shared road space, rather than staying left aligned.
Disadvantages of this proposed treatment
This treatment does not provide any improvements for pedestrians within the current width of the road.
Yarra Council will investigate the possibility of widening the road reserve in the future should this ever become an option, however this is outside of the scope for this road safety study.
If you would like to find out more about this proposed treatment, you can get in touch with us:
📧 Email email@example.com
📞 Call us on 9205 5555