This consultation has now closed. Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts! Your feedback will be used to help inform the development of a concept design for the Charles Evans Reserve upgrade.
We're upgrading Charles Evans Reserve to make sure the park is able to serve a broad range of park users for years to come.
Before we develop the Concept Design, we need your help to tell us how you want to use this space and what improvements you think we should make.
About the park
Charles Evans Reserve, also known as Cremorne Gardens, is a small park located near the Yarra River in Cremorne. It includes a shaded playground, drinking fountain, garden beds and small grassy area.
This park must meet the needs of a diverse and increasing population and accommodate different groups of park users, including local residents, visitors and people who work in the local area.
Cremorne has less than 0.5% open space and land for additional open space is not likely to become available in the short term. Additionally, commercial development is drawing new people to the area for work and Cremorne’s residential population is also growing.
Redesigning the play space
A key element of this consultation will be understanding how the community feels about the existing playground at Charles Evans Reserve.
The playground was installed in 2006. It offers limited play value and does not meet accessibility standards. The size of the park is quite small and, including the soft-fall area, the playground takes up approximately 20% of the total park area.
We have the option of:
- Providing a new dedicated playground to offer a broader range of play opportunities and provide accessible access. This would take up the same or greater amount of space as the existing playground.
- Providing informal play elements that are integrated throughout the overall design of the park (such as nature play) to enable a more flexible use of the park.
- Removing the playground and not replacing it. This would create more space for recreation and other landscaping and design elements.
Share your thoughts
Tell us what you think:
- What do you like about Charles Evans Reserve?
- What are some of the barriers to you using this park?
- What do you want us to focus on when we're redesigning this space?
- Should we replace the existing playground and how do you want the play space to look?
Provide your feedback using the survey below before 9am on Monday 11 September 2023.
Talk to us in person
We will be holding two in person sessions:
- Wednesday 30 August from 10am to 1pm
- Saturday 9 September from 10am to 1pm
Both sessions will be at Charles Evans Reserve - located between Dover Street and Cubitt Street in Cremorne.