Thank you for sharing your thoughts on our draft Budget 2022-23. We are currently reviewing your feedback before adopting the final Budget at the Council meeting on Thursday 23 June 2022.
If you have registered to speak to your feedback, you will be able to do so at the special council meeting which will be held on Monday 30 May.
Have your say on Yarra's draft Budget and draft Long Term Financial Plan
We gave you the opportunity to provide feedback on Yarra's draft Budget 2022-23 and draft Long Term Financial Plan. The deadline for submissions was 5pm on Friday 6 May 2022.
About the draft Budget
This $219 million draft Budget recognises the need for us to make some tough decisions now to ensure we can continue to deliver what our community wants and expects in the future. Consideration has been given to improving our operations and making them as efficient as possible, managing costs, attracting external funding and expanding opportunities to generate revenue. The draft Budget 2022-23 focuses on addressing our current and future priorities, whilst also being realistic about the challenging financial environment we are currently operating in. While Council has sufficient cash reserves at present, there is a need for urgent and meaningful change now, to ensure we can keep providing for our community in the future.
Like all councils across Victoria, Yarra has been impacted financially by the COVID-19 pandemic, both through increased spending to support our local community and businesses and loss of revenue.
We made a deliberate and considered decision to step up and assist our community and businesses during the pandemic. As a result, our operating environment and financial position has been impacted with losses in excess of $50 million. In addition to this, Yarra has also had to manage the financial challenges associated with rate capping (with rising costs outstripping the rate cap), a growing population, ageing infrastructure, cost-shifting and the need build cash reserves to finance capital projects.
This draft Budget has a strong focus on our fiscal responsibilities and infrastructure, and outlines a range of projects that will help achieve our community’s vision for Yarra. Council expects to deliver financial improvements and efficiencies over the next 10 years of at least $23 million. In addition to this, we are currently undertaking a independent strategic review of our operations, which we will report back to the community seeking their feedback.
Find out more about our draft Budget.
At a glance
- $219 million total operating expenditure
- $39 million in capital works projects
- 1.75% increase in general rate revenue (in line with the Victorian Government rate cap)
We will continue to support our more vulnerable community members through its Hardship Policy and Pensioner Rebate, and we will support the broader community through the following projects:
- Continuing to transition Council buildings off gas, including making significant progress in relation to getting our Town Halls off gas.
- Collingwood College Early Childhood Centre development (funded primarily by the Department of Education, in partnership with Collingwood College). Council will deliver a refurbished building and outdoor area for the purpose of Council operating three and four-year-old funded kindergarten, playgroups and occasional care.
- Designing a new pocket park in Charlotte Street, Richmond which will be delivered the following year.
- A range of improvements across Yarra’s bicycle network.
- Road safety improvements via dedicated improvements in Carlton North, Fitzroy North, Clifton Hill, Abbotsford and Richmond.
- Delivering programs to support households and businesses to reduce carbon emissions to work towards a zero carbon Yarra.
- Master planning for Inner Circle Linear Parklands including community consultation.
- The introduction of a CALD digital literacy learning program. Council is engaging officers with community language skills, particularly Cantonese, Mandarin, Vietnamese and Somali, to support our ongoing community and digital learning programs.
- Acceleration of Yarra’s tree planting program to support the planting of more trees in addition to the approximate 1000 trees we usually plant each year.
Answering your questions
You were invited to learn more about this year's draft Budget at these events:
Live Q and A webinar with the Mayor
Join Yarra's Mayor, Cr Sophie Wade, for a live webinar to ask your questions about the draft Budget.
When: Tuesday 26 April from 7pm to 8pm
Information session - Richmond Town Hall
Speak to senior Council staff about the draft Budget in person.
Where: Richmond Town Hall, 333 Bridge Road, Richmond.
When: Thursday 28 April from 1pm to 2pm.
Youth session with the Mayor
Young people are invited to have a chat and share some food with the Mayor.
Where: Yarra Youth Centre, 156 Napier Street, Fitzroy
When: Thursday 5 May from 4pm to 5pm
Submit your feedback
You were invited to provide feedback on the draft Budget 2022-23 and draft Long Term Financial Plan. Feedback needed to be received by 5pm on Friday 6 May.
You were able to do this:
By completing the form below.
email@example.com (subject line Budget 22-23)
Yarra City Council
PO Box 168
Richmond VIC 3121
Speaking at the Council meeting
You were able to choose to speak to your feedback at the Council meeting to be held on Monday 30 May 2022 from 7pm.
When you provide your feedback, please let us know if you also wish to speak at the meeting and we will register you automatically. More information about the meeting and a copy of the meeting agenda is available at the Council Meeting webpage.
Feedback on the draft Budget and Long Term Financial Plan will be considered before the final documents are formally adopted at the Council meeting to be held on Thursday 23 June 2022.