We’ve used your ideas for Brunswick Street
Brunswick Street has been a vibrant, quirky and creative hub for a long time.
And we want to keep it that way!
The draft Brunswick Street Streetscape Masterplan looks at ways we can improve the footpaths and public spaces around Brunswick Street, without changing what makes it special.
To create it, we used ideas from the community, as well as advice from an independent landscape consultant.
In early 2020, we showed this plan to the community to see if we got it right.
Thank you to everyone who contributed. This consultation is now closed.
We asked what you thought of the draft plan
The Brunswick Street Streetscape Masterplan looks at opportunities for improving the public spaces in two different sections of the Brunswick Street precinct. We are using community feedback to finalise this plan.
In early 2020, the community had the opportunity to speak with us, either online or in person, and complete two separate surveys to let us know what they think.
- Read the full draft Brunswick Street Masterplan.
- See the ideas from the community that informed this plan.
Who did we talk to?
In February and March 2020, we spoke to the people who live, work, study, visit and own property in and around Brunswick Street, Fitzroy.
- We received almost 450 contributions from our two online surveys.
- We held two in-person pop-up sessions to chat with the community; one along Brunswick Street (near Westgarth Street) and another near Atherton Reserve. Around 60 people visited our pop-up sessions to share their feedback.
- We spoke to residents, including people who live in the Atherton Gardens housing estate.
- We spoke to businesses and workers in the area.
- We spoke to a variety of people who use local community services in the area.
What did we ask?
People had the opportunity to complete two surveys.
1. Brunswick Street's footpaths
Looks at the footpaths along Brunswick Street, and creating new public spaces on certain corners. See the survey, which is now closed, on Brunswick Street's footpaths below.
2. The area around Fitzroy Town HallThis precinct includes the local streets around Fitzroy Town Hall, the Atherton Gardens Housing Estate, Sacred Heart Primary School, and community facilities including the Fitzroy Library, Yarra Youth Centre, and the Connie Benn Centre.
What did we hear?
Thank you to everyone who provided their views on the project. Overall, many of the ideas received high levels of support, and a lot of useful feedback has been provided which is being used to refine the masterplan. We received feedback in relation to a number of themes, including but not limited to:
- Importance of trees and greenery.
- Maintaining pedestrian access on the footpaths.
- Opportunities for more bike parking.
- Mixed views about new public toilets along Brunswick Street, and on the relocation of the Condell Street toilet.
- Anti-social behaviour is an important consideration.
- Consider tree species and maintenance of garden beds.
- Support for high quality public art.
- Opportunity to learn more about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and heritage, particularly for projects around Atherton Gardens.
- Street trading is important but should also ensure adequate pedestrian access is maintained.
- Look for further opportunities to change the road space on Brunswick Street to achieve benefits such as wider footpaths, bike lanes and trees.
- Look for further opportunities to reduce the road space around the Fitzroy Town Hall area, however necessary vehicle access needs to be considered.
The Streetscape Masterplan is being refined to respond to the feedback we received. Once updated the final masterplan will be presented to Council for adoption. At this stage it is scheduled to go to a council meeting in May 2020, but this may change in light of coronavirus (COVID-19).
You can find up-to-date information about our council meetings on the Yarra Council website.
Brunswick Street's footpaths
Click the hotspots to see more on each idea for the whole street. Please note this image is for demonstration purposes only - any final designs may look different.