We’re in the early stages of planning for future improvements to the Brunswick Street Oval sporting and community facilities.
The process so far
In May 2019, we spoke to local residents and the users of Brunswick Street Oval and Edinburgh Gardens to find out what they value about the facilities and what could be improved.
Nearly 100 people took our survey, and about 15 people attended an open information session at the Edinburgh Gardens Community Room on 13 May 2019.
We’ve also been working closely with the sporting clubs and community groups to ensure the facilities cater to their needs, both now and into the future.
We are now reviewing all the feedback we received, and this will help us develop a Needs Analysis and Concept Plan for the project.
About the Brunswick Street Oval facilities
The facilities are home to the Fitzroy Tennis Club, Edinburgh Cricket Club, Fitzroy Football Club and Fitzroy Junior Football Club. Some local community groups use the community room to host regular meetings and the space is also available for hire for one-off events.
What’s included in this project?
The facilities being considered as part of this project are:
- Edinburgh Gardens Community Room (used for community meetings and events)
- The 6 tennis courts
- The tennis pavilion and change rooms
- Ground level of the Fitzroy Cricket Ground Grandstand (including the player and umpire change rooms, toilets, canteen, community room commercial kitchen, public toilets). Note - the spectator area of the grandstand is not included in this project).
See the map outlining the project area.
How will the project be developed?
We are working with architects Lovell Chen to develop a Needs Analysis and Concept Plan for the project. In developing this work, considerations will include:
- The current and future needs of the sporting clubs and community groups who use the facilities
- Heritage value of the existing buildings and surrounding area
- Accessibility for people of all abilities
- Environmentally sustainable building design
How is this project being funded?
The development of the Brunswick Street Oval Precinct Needs Analysis and Concept Plan is expected to cost $150,000. It will be jointly funded by Yarra City Council ($50,000), the State Government ($50,000) and Clifton Hill/North Fitzroy Community Bank ($50,000).
Funding for the design and construction of the upgraded facilities is expected to be secured in the coming months.