This consultation is closed.
In 2018, we asked for your help to rethink our waste. With hundreds of great ideas we were able to design a more creative and sustainable approach to our waste.
We carefully considered your feedback and created a Waste Minimisation and Resource Recovery Strategy to improve the way we purchase, consume and use resources.
The strategy is built around five key objectives, each with a four year action plan detailing the specific tasks required to achieve our targets.
- Valuing our resource.
- Delivering high quality, accessible services and programs.
- Encouraging community pride through clean and litter free public spaces.
- Ensuring Yarra has access to the programs, infrastructure and technology to meet its targets
- Collaborate, partner and advocate for better outcomes.
- Total waste generated for kerbside collection decreased by 98 tonnes.
- About 97% of goods left at recycling drop-off points were recycled and reused
- More than 540 tonnes of hard waste was recycled
- Almost 10,000 tonnes of material was recycled (that’s 1500 elephants!)
- The Food Know How program is providing tips on meal planning, shopping, cooking, storage, and growing food at home to help reduce waste.
- Under the Recycle Us program we’re looking in rubbish and recycling bins, and providing feedback to households to help them improve their practice.
- Our Recycling School initiative sees us working with local schools to show young people that recycling can be fun and rewarding.
If you have a question for our Waste Minimisation team, email them at email@example.com (subject line: Rethinking our waste) or call them on 9205 5555.