This consultation is closed.
In 2019 we gave you a chance to have your say on the Draft Graffitti Management Framework which outlines our response to illegal graffiti in Yarra.
We received more than 500 responses to create our Graffiti Management Framework 2020-2023 that was adopted by Council in 2019.
About our Graffiti Management Framework
In Yarra, as with most places in the inner city, graffiti is a serious and complex problem. We’re looking at ways we can best work with the community to tackle graffiti together.
We updated our Graffiti Management Framework, which outlines our multifaceted approach to tackling graffiti, including:
- When and how we will remove graffiti from Council property.
- Supporting our community to remove graffiti from private property.
- Using alternative methods, including public murals, landscaping and urban design treatments to deter graffiti.
- Working with other agencies, including Victoria Police, to report and monitor graffiti.
- Diversion and early intervention programs for young people at risk of engaging in graffiti.
- Trials with local residents and retailers to see how frequently graffiti needs to be removed before it no longer reappears, to determine the most efficient and cost-effective approach
Graffiti in Yarra: the facts
Each year, Yarra Council removes around 20,000 cases of graffiti and unsolicited bill posters, at a cost of around $800,000.
This accounts for just a portion of all cases of graffiti. If we were to remove all instances of graffiti, the cost would be unsustainable.
This is why we are also focusing on prevention tactics, and supporting the community to remove graffiti from private property.