Arts and culture is integral to Yarra
Do you enjoy the arts? Are you an artist, or are you involved in the creative industries in Yarra? Do you value our creative community?
In 2019 we went out to the community to find out what you already love about the arts in Yarra, what you would like to see more of, and what we can do to support creativity in Yarra. Your contribution will help us develop our Arts and Cultural Strategy 2022-26.
Thank you to everyone who contributed. This stage of the consultation is now closed
We've used this feedback to develop four priorities. We invite you to attend one of our 1.5 hour workshops to discuss these and let us know what you think.
Who did we speak to?
We heard from more than 350 community members through our online survey as well as a series of in-person pop-up events. This included more than 100 children and young people, as well as members of Yarra's arts community and people who enjoy the arts in Yarra. We also engaged Yarra's trader community, our arts and culture advisory group, and our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander advisory group.
This feedback has been used to develop our four strategic priorities for our Arts and Cultural Strategy 2022-26.
Arts and culture priorities
We look forward to discussing these draft priorities with the community at our workshops.
Priority 1: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander arts and culture
- Support Yarra's proud Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural heritage and contemporary arts practices.
- Work collaboratively with Yarra’s Traditional Owners, the Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung, and our broader Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
- Empower this community to share their creative practice, stories, history and culture, in the spirit of self-determination, through arts and cultural opportunities.
Priority 2: Creative places and spaces
- Make sure Yarra continues to be an artistic centre, known for high-quality arts.
- Protect and grow the places and spaces our creative sector needs to evolve and thrive.
- Fund, support and advocate to ensure our creative organisations and artists continue to develop and have a home in Yarra, as well as space for their audiences.
- Support emerging and new artists and arts organisations.
Priority 3: A creative and diverse community
- Continue to support projects that:
- creatively celebrate community identity
- foster inclusiveness, and
- reduce social isolation.
- Ensure our events and programs are accessible to all and reflect the diversity of our community.
Priority 4: Art for a sustainable future
- Support the unique platform artists and creative organisations have to raise awareness and inspire change to contribute to a sustainable future.
- Support artistic endeavours that contribute to a sustainable future, including those that respond to the climate emergency.
- Support creatives to develop sustainable practices.