The first phase of the Linear Park Masterplan community consultation took place from 4 April to 1 May 2022.
We received 490 responses to our online survey and spoke to hundreds of people at our 3 in-person pop up sessions held in the parklands.
Thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts with us!
We are currently reviewing your feedback, and will update you on the next steps of this project soon.
What's this masterplan about?
The Linear Parklands run from Princes Hill, through Carlton North, right down to Fitzroy North near Rushall Station. They're the longest continuous stretch of open parklands in Yarra, containing many historical, cultural and environmental points of interest.
Right now they're used for all sorts of activities like:
- enjoying nature
- Carlton North and Holden Street neighbourhood house activities
- commuter and leisure bike riding, walking and jogging
- passive recreation spaces where community sit and relax or gather to picnic and play, and
- community gardening, dog walking, a historical bocce court and much more!
Why a masterplan?
We're taking a fresh look at how the Linear Parklands are used and maintained, to ensure this significant stretch of open space caters to all who want to use it.
As our population grows and changes, the ways we use our open spaces also change. The masterplan will outline future upgrades and investment in the parklands, to ensure they reflect the needs of the community now and in the years to come.
That's why we want to hear from you. Tell us:
- what do you really love about the parklands?
- what elements do you want to see protected or enhanced?
- are there any issues you think need addressing?
- what ideas do you have to make these parklands great spaces for everyone into the future?
What areas are included?
The parklands wrap around what was once the Inner Circle Rail Line between Bowen Crescent in Princes Hill and Rushall Station in Fitzroy North, and also includes the old spur line between St Georges Road and Alfred Crescent, that connected the railway to Edinburgh Gardens to the south.
✍🏽View the survey
📌show us on the map
When can you get involved?
Timeline item 1 - complete
Stage 1 - April 2022
We sought community feedback via an online survey and three in-person events from 4 April to 1 May 2022.
Thank you to everyone who shared their feedback during this time.
Timeline item 2 - active
Stage 2 - October 2022
Refining or prioritising options and concepts with key stakeholders before drafting the masterplan.
Timeline item 3 - incomplete
Stage 3 - early 2023
We'll come back to the community for feedback on the full draft masterplan