Thank you for your feedback!
We are currently reviewing your feedback on the Container Deposit Scheme and the four identified locations of the reverse vending machines before the scheme is scheduled to begin on Wednesday 1 November.
Yarra City Council is working with the Victorian Government to provide our residents with opportunities and incentives to recycle more materials and transition to a circular economy.
The Container Deposit Scheme (CDS) is a Victorian Government initiative that rewards Victorians with a 10-cent refund for every eligible drinking container they recycle at designated refund points.
The introduction of the scheme will benefit the Yarra community by:
- reducing litter in streets and waterways
- providing charities, community groups, environmental organisations, sports groups, and educational organisations with a potential fund-raising stream
- increasing recycling participation
One of the ways that residents can participate in the CDS is recycling bottles through self-service drop-off points called “reverse vending machines”.
These new reverse vending machines will allow residents to be reimbursed for recycling eligible containers including cans, cartons, and bottles between 150ml and 1L in size. These machines typically receive 10,000 containers per day per machine.
The hardware required to run participating reverse vending machines in Yarra is determined and will be managed by recycling processor Visy. However, the locations of the reverse vending machines are decided by Council.
Council have identified four locations around the municipality as reverse vending machine locations.
- Fairfield Park oval - Yarra Bend Road, Fairfield
- Collingwood Leisure Centre - Turnbull Street, Clifton Hill
- Kevin Bartlett Reserve - FR Smith Drive, Burnley
- Burnley Depot - Burnley Street, Burnley