Welcome to Yarra's draft 2021/22 annual budget
The annual budget is a key part of Council’s planning. It sets out council priorities to build a fairer, more equal and climate-safe Yarra.
We made sure our community was supported through the pandemic with assistance like the community and business support packages. Like all councils and all tiers of Government, Yarra’s financial position was impacted.
This draft budget responds to these extraordinary events and continues a sustainable financial position in the years ahead. Importantly, it continues to invest in our community with key essential services and infrastructure.
It has a strong focus on financial sustainability, but also on environmental sustainability. It reflects council's priority to keep Yarra liveable by tackling the climate emergency, increasing green public space, boosting active transport and fighting inequality by supporting those in need and our local businesses.
Draft budget overview and highlights
The draft Budget includes a rate increase of 1.5 per cent, which is consistent with the 2021-22 rate cap outlined under the Fair Go Rating System and will be accompanied by a 1.5% increase in our additional rate rebate for pensioners.
- New bike hoops and bike lanes as part of a new Transport Action Plan
- Planning for a food and organics (FOGO) kerbside collection service
- The first step of a new Community Hub at the Collingwood Town Hall Precinct, delivering essential services including a maternal and child health service
- New toilets at Edinburgh Gardens
- New and improved parks including expanding Cambridge Reserve, Collingwood, a new park in Otter Street, Collingwood, two park extensions in Cremorne, and planning for two more new pocket parks.
- 1300 new trees across the city
- Continuing to support businesses and vulnerable communities in the climate emergency
- New pedestrian infrastructure across Yarra making getting to school safer and more accessible.
- Starting the process to transition away from gas towards renewable energy at a number of community facilities and pavilions
- Upgrade to fitness equipment at Atherton Reserve
- Capacity to continue delivering on important Council actions, such as integrated water management, urban agriculture strategy, nature strategy and our heritage aspects of Yarra, including Indigenous heritage.
Read more about the budget highlights.
View the draft budget
You can also view a hard copy version in person at Richmond or Collingwood town Hall.
Thank you to the over 1300 participants who provided valuable input on your future priorities in stage one, November 2020 to January this year. This helped inform both the drafting of this budget and the ongoing work to develop Yarra's Community Vision. View the report from stage one engagement.
You are now invited to provide feedback on the draft budget by 5pm Friday 21 May.